BBC New Comedy Award 2018
Stephen Buchanan is one of the most promising comedians to emerge from Scotland in recent years. He has appeared on Scot Squad (BBC1), Jonathan Ross’ Comedy Club (ITV), The Now Show (BBC Radio 4), The Dog Ate My Homework (CBBC), Queen Of The New Year (BBC Scotland), Breaking The News (BBC Radio Scotland), DIY Pundit (BT Sport), and is a regular face on Sparks (Channel 4). His series Cooking in a Crisis for BBC Scotland was a highlight of the lockdown, as well as his sketches on Tiktok and Instagram which have over a million likes.
He can be heard weekly on BBC Radio Scotland’s Noising Up, which he writes and performs in. His BBC Radio 4 stand up special Talking Shop was released in March 2021 and chosen as the comedy of the week. You can listen to it here. Stephen is also the co-host of hit podcast ‘Some Laugh’ with fellow comics Marc Jennings & Stuart McPherson which has a loyal following leading to sold out live shows.
In 2018 he was crowned the first ever Scottish winner of the BBC New Comedy Award, and also won the Scottish Comedian of the Year award. He made his Edinburgh Fringe debut in 2019 with the critically acclaimed Baby Dove which was a total sell out show with extra dates added.
Buchanan is also establishing himself as a promising writer with credits from BBC Radio Scotland’s topical panel show Breaking the News and BBC Scotland’s online sketch series Short Stuff. He is developing scripts with the BBC and has appeared on BBC Scotland’s The Comedy Underground and Bad Influencer.
- BBC New Comedy Award 2018
- Scottish Comedian of the Year 2018
- "Skilful, personal and pitch perfect stand-up" The Wee Review
- "Promising young comedian" The Skinny
- "His material was tight and assuredly delivered" The Scotsman
- Stephen's performance was great, hilarious and has been raved about since Friday night. He was extremely professional and delivered an incredible performance. IOIC Awards
- It was a pleasure to work with Stephen - they were absolutely brilliant and made such an effort with our guests, even joining the dinner on the top table. Stephen seemed to be a real hit with the audience so we were delighted they were part of the event! Jean Mclay, SpeakOut Celebrities & Presenters Ltd